A broken link or a dead link is a link on a web page which no longer works because the site is currently encountering at least one of those problems under.
- An improper URL entered.
- The destination site was eliminated (causing what’s called a 404 error)
- The destination site permanently transferred or no longer exists
- The user has a software or is behind a firewall that blocks access to the destination page.
- The website owner linked to a site that is behind a firewall that does not allow outside access (such as an Intranet site or a restricted access area on a website).
A website that has not been updated or checked for quite a while may suffer with link corrosion, and it can be a phrase used to refer to a website with heaps of links that are broken. null
Examples of a broken link error code
- Here are some examples of error codes that a web server may present for a broken link:
- 404 Page Not Found: the page/resource doesn’t exist on the server
- 400 Bad Request: the host server cannot understand the URL on your page
- Bad host: Invalid host name: the server with that name doesn’t exist or is unreachable
- Bad URL: Malformed URL (e.g. a missing bracket, extra slashes, wrong protocol, etc.)
- Bad Code: Invalid HTTP response code: the server response violates HTTP spec
- Empty: the host server returns “empty” responses with no content and no response code
- Timeout: Timeout: HTTP requests constantly timed out during the link check
- Reset: the host server drops connections. It is either misconfigured or too busy.
How to spot a Broken link?
Once you click on a broken link you will see similar page like
How you can check the if a site has broken links ?
There is no need to do manually .There are several free tools that will helps you to find broken links or pages. Those are given below.
Broken Links Negatively Affect SEO
It’s important to understand that one the way search engines rank websites is by crawling their links. If their are dead links on your website, it can stop search engine spiders from crawling your site and, thus, indexing it.
You Can Access all Digital marketing Videos on My YouTube Channel. You can Access Website Designing, SEO, Google Ads, Social media Markeitng Videos. Most of the Live projects also explianed in the videos. This is helpful for studnets who are applying for jobs. These videos also help business people who want to improve their performance. These videos also help Poeple who already working on Digital Marketing and still have questions. I will be adding more and more videos.